Monday, August 17, 2015

Into the "Heart of Darkness" - Warning: Spoilers


Warning: Spoilers!

I just received the final commissioned writing from +Emma Gray; a set of diary logs from one of the NPCs that act as a series of clues throughout the adventure. Heart of Darkness will be my first published adventure- a Sci-fi/Space Opera Gothic Horror that takes place on a derelict space hulk. Originally written for +James Spahn's "White Star" RPG, but I am also working a Savage Worlds version, possibly a Cypher System "translation" and I have already begun to re-write it as a Science-Fantasy version for other systems—I'm looking at you 5e. 


Here's a sneak peek of one of the unedited diary entries:



 Day Six
Something is very wrong.
  The ship has been rattling around in space, meteors have been hitting the the exterior of the ship, and they've already closed down the Lido Deck due to the possibility of a large jagged rock breaking through the glass windows. We're slowly losing power and the lights keep flickering.
   I'm scared, and I can tell Mal is too, even though I know he's trying to put on a brave front. There's a coldness that's washing through the ship, and I can tell it's not just from the power going out. Something is here. Something bad. I feel like I'm stuck in a nightmare and I'm just waiting to wake up.
   Several passengers have been reported missing, while others have been injured due to the hits that the ship took. There's something that's been creeping down the halls-- a shadow... a darkness. I almost feel as if I'm the only one that sees it. I haven't said anything about it. I don't want anyone to think I'm going crazy. Especially not Mal.
   Mal won't let me leave our room. Not that I want to anyway. Every noise I hear sends fear down my spine. Mal leaves the room twice a day. Once in the morning and then again in the evening. He tells me not to open the door and if for some reason he doesn't come back not to go searching for him. Why wouldn't he come back? And how do people even go missing on a ship?
   No one knows what's going on or where we are. There has been no response from the captain in over 24 hours. Where are we going? What happens if the power goes out? Will we make it off this ship? Or is this how we die? 






Emma Gray is a Young Adult author best known for her debut novel Shattered In The Dark.  You can read the first four chapters and get a discount code here.

No comments:

Post a Comment