Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Which Road Do I Take?

“Alice came to a fork in the road. 'Which road do I take?' she asked.'Where do you want to go?' responded the Cheshire Cat.'I don't know,' Alice answered.'Then,' said the Cat, 'it doesn't matter.” ― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland

I already have many different roads to choose, but because I enjoy so many different systems, choosing a system to write for may be one of the hardest decisions I have to make. Eventually I will have to answer the question, "Which road do I take?" or better put, "Which system do I write for?" I hope to publish my final adventure(s) in a zine format or even a pulp format so what system or systems should I keep in mind? I want to try to remain system neutral, but there is also the possibility that I may have to write specifically for one system and/or convert to another. In the case of having to write for a specific system, the easy answer is to write for a retro-clone OSR system such as Swords & Wizardry or Labyrinth Lord, but a more modern take on Appendix N of DCC might be more suitable. System neutral, system specific, or all if the above? Pleasing everyone might only be a pipe dream lost in the smoke of the Caterpillar's hookah, but it would be better to be prepared rather than to go chasing rabbits.


Perhaps the real question is how long can I keep up the Alice In Wonderland metaphor?

No comments:

Post a Comment