Sunday, September 20, 2015

Hanging Cities of The Night Below

I'm still rather new to the Underdark (I was always a Grayhawk fan) and recently a Patreon patron requested a map of a very particular part of the Underdark—Dunspeirrin, The City of Sunken Spires. For those of you like me who don't know anything about Dunspeirrin, it was a Duergar city built into stalactites hanging over an enormous pit.

Originally I wanted to present just one of the rooms and a bridge for Free Map Friday, but as it always happens, inspiration strikes and the map began to grow. While there will be more levels to come, I decided to first explore how a city such as this would operate. This city is fed my an underground river and highway system and the only way in or out of the city is through a single bridge that connects the edge of the cavern to a main gatehouse of sorts.

The more I work on this city, the more I can see other applications such as the sky bridge connected buildings in Ebberon, or perhaps a canyon city built into mesas on Mars. What other applications could you see this map being used for?

It's still a work in progress, but I should have level one done for this Friday.

Let me know what you think. Have you played in this environment before? How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment